Friday, July 2, 2010

Venn Diagram



Everyone has some overlap-- venn diagram style-- inside with one circle being how a person sees himself and the other being the work that they do. If you take away the work, you also take away the overlap. New York City is full of people with a lot of overlap. As a result, answering the question "What do you do?" when you are looking for a new job can be extremely tricky. If you say the wrong thing, your new friend may be watching a film in her head of what it would look like if her worst work-related fears came to pass.

But having people know makes everything easier. I keep telling myself this piece because it is surprisingly difficult.  There are so many advantages to having friends "on the inside." Having more information means you worry less. Already, I've learned that two jobs (referenced here and here) have internal candidates, making it unlikely that I will be seriously considered. Not positive news but news that I got quickly.

There is this exciting that I mentioned Wednesday. I started writing a cover letter on Tuesday, looked at it again on Wednesday, but did not touch on Thursday or today. My focus should be on applying for jobs that look interesting and worry about the rest of it afterward, right?

I'm sure this procrastination is common but logically just shouldn't be the case. Yes, putting my best foot forward with a well written introduction for that exact job is part of the process but I also need to ask for help getting my application in front of the right person. People ask me for little favors all the time and I don't think twice about following up. Knowing all of this, hard asking for help should be easy but it isn't at all.

Job applications: 0
Networking events: 1
New contacts: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment