Friday, June 25, 2010

The Beauty Network

I love Steinbeck. There is something about how human his characters are and how he paints this picture of an America so foreign from the day to day of 21st century New York City.  Perhaps he is my escape in the way that people in fly over states watch Sex in the City. Last week, I read a passage in Travels with Charley that begins "It is my considered opinion that the hairdresser is the most influential person in any community." 

So when I got my haircut yesterday, I told my hairdresser all about my job situation. It turns out that his sister just graduated from college in Washington State and spent the last week looking for a job in New York, in part through his client base. Steinbeck was on to something and now I am, too.


Later in the day, I had time for a manicure before heading to a dinner so I stopped in a salon near the restaurant. A few minutes into the visit, I noticed a woman there with a bag marked with a brand of office furniture. Perhaps she works in the industry? How to talk to her? After a bit, the beautician moved me to the station right next to her. I started the conversation and it turns out she works for a firm I am familiar with. I complimented a recent project, she told me a bit about her work, and we see eye-to-eye on a lot of aspects of design and maintenance. While our nails were drying, she mentioned a good chance of an opening at a place I would like to work. 


Thank you, Steinbeck!


Job applications: 0
Networking events: 3
New contacts: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment